The Poem

Ainsley was very excited to get some new pencils in a goodie bag from a friend's birthday party last weekend. Usually when she gets pencils I just hide them away in our desk - I don't think we even own a pencil sharpener anymore. But she was particularly excited about these because they have Lalaloopsy on them. So being the good mother that I am, I hauled the pencils into work and used our automatic pencil sharpener. When I brought them home to her, you'd have thought I brought home a new pony. She was beyond thrilled. Pencils?  Really? Must be her English-teacher grandmother rubbing off on her. I was thinking that exact thought when she pulled out a notebook and started writing. "Are you drawing a picture with your new pencils?" I ask her. "No, Mama. I'm writing a polem" [that's pronounced 'pole-emm' for those of you not well versed in Ainsley-speak]. Then she continues: "Please be quiet so I can concentrate. I have to write my polem."  

She was silent for 25 minutes while writing her masterpiece. Parker and I weren't quite sure what to do with this time of peace and quiet. Dixie even looked a little concerned. But Ainsley wouldn't be deterred. Even after Parker stole one of her pencils and they had a momentary screaming match, she immediately went back to her writing. I think we have a future Nobel Laureate in our family. 


And of course all her poems will be dedicated to the best mother in world, because I'm the one who sharpened her pencils. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Momming Hard Day 9... until the end of time

Attempted Baking Projects

Ainsley's 11th Birthday in Lockdown