Hiking Up Mt.Kimball (AKA: My Worst Idea Ever)

Last month I was in beautiful Arizona for a quick weekend conference. I enjoyed meeting some new people, eating good food, and doing a little local shopping. But in my research before my trip, I kept coming upon the same suggestion. Apparently when visiting Tucson, one simply MUST go on a hike to view the desert - the birds! The cactus! The rocks! The sunset! So, seeing as how I'm training to run my second half marathon, decided that going on a nice long hike would be a great workout for the day. (Probably burn off some of the calories from the wine and chocolate cake I had the night before too...) So I researched 'best hikes in Tucson.'  Now I don't know what idiots wrote these reviews, or why I thought they had merit, but I finally decided on a 10 mile round-trip hike on the Finger Rock Trailhead, and up to the top of Mt. Kimball. It's a 4,200 ft elevation change. But 5 miles up can't be too bad, and then 5 miles back down is easy. Supposed to have great views, lots of flora and fauna. Sure, it was rated a little challenging, but I'm not one to shy away from a good adventure. So off I go, with my little backpack, 4 bottles of water, a bagged lunch, and my iPhone. Here is a review in pictures of my 8 hour adventure.

See that pointed-finger-looking rock waaaaay off in the distance in the center of the photo? That's where I'm heading. This photo is taken from where I start on the trail head. 

Oooooh! Look at the big cactus! 

Been hiking for about 1/2 hour now. Still seeing lots of cactuses (cactai?). Only a slight elevation change. This is going to be easy! 

Finger Rock is up ahead (still way off in the distance) but I'm getting a little closer... I think.

After about 90 minutes of hiking - starting some serious elevation change. But look at the nice view of Tucson! My legs aren't too tired yet, and I'm still mostly in the shade. 

Hmm... now I understand why they rate this slightly challenging. Some of my hike includes rock climbing on my hands and knees. 

2 1/2 hours in. Getting even closer to that stupid Finger Rock. But how the heck do I get across this huge canyon?!

Let's stop to look at this beautiful cactus flower.... AFTER I fell into a cactus and tore up my knee. Didn't think to pack band-aids.

After 3 hours I make it to the top of a ridge and take a snack break. Nice views of the city. No more shade going forward. Consider turning back, but the reviews online said the view gets even better so I don't want to miss out on anything....

Where the &%!$ is this trail taking me?!
At this point my backpack rips open on one side. I don't know why I thought taking a free mesh gym-baggy-type-thing would be good for this adventure. But I thought it would be lightweight? So now I have to carry my backpack on one shoulder, sideways so everything doesn't fall out. It's a little difficult when climbing up the side of a mountain, but I manage to only lose a granola bar and an empty water bottle along the way. [Note to the Park Service: Sorry about that! I didn't mean to litter!]

I've been hiking for 4 hours and that stupid Finger Rock doesn't seem to be any closer! At this point there is no more shade and the temperatures are starting to reach 90 (but it's a dry heat...) 

Some more nice views of the Tucson area. But at this point I don't care. I just want to get to the top of this stupid mountain so I can sit down and enjoy some lunch. 

Made it to the top of the canyon. Now to head across the ridge to the mountain top. 

The elevation evens out a little so my legs get a short break. I enjoy looking at some neat rock formations. 

After 5 hours I reach the top of Mt. Kimball. I had lovely visions of eating a leisurely lunch and taking in the views. But all of the gnats and mosquitoes in the entire state of Arizona decided to hold a convention at the top of the mountain, at precisely the time that I wanted to sit down. My leisurely lunch turned into a mad dash of picture-taking, and then running back down the mountain swatting at everything in my path. 

Now that I think about it, doesn't this view from the top of the mountain look very similar to the view that I saw 2 1/2 hours ago?!

And here the pictures stop. Why? Because going back down a mountain after hiking for 5 hours is actually worse than the climb up. I thought my knees were going to fall off. And remember all of those rocks that I had to climb up on my hands and knees? Going back down on my butt was even better. But luckily there were plenty of cactus around to break my fall. It was 96 degrees outside and I managed to get down the mountain in 3 hours by practicing "controlled stumbling." By the time I reached the car, 10 miles and 8 hours after I set off on this adventure, I was convinced that this was my worst idea ever. But the view was nice... 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Momming Hard Day 9... until the end of time

Attempted Baking Projects

Ainsley's 11th Birthday in Lockdown