Girls Getaway


Yesterday, after taking Parker to his weekly Romp-n-Roll class, I headed off for a girls day [here he is, scaling a wall.] 


When I left Ainsley gave me a big hug and said 'I'll never forget you Mama!' I'm not sure where Eric told her I was going...

Four of us spent the day visiting wineries, eating good food, and catching up on life. New Kent Winery is a quick 5 minutes off I-64. The tasting house is fairly new but has beautiful facilities and grounds. I was especially interested in the Ipe wood flooring that they had on all the outdoor porches, as this is the kind of wood my parents used to build the new dock at the lake. I wish they had a restaurant or cafe on site, but it was otherwise a perfect place to sit and enjoy the scenery with a glass of vino.




Williamsburg Winery had great food but bad service. Although, honestly, by the time we got our food it could've been McDonalds chicken nuggets and it would've tasted like the Inn at Little Washington. It had all the potential for being great but we weren't that impressed. The wines were decent, but the tasting was too rushed and the tasting room was very dark and bare. By the time it was over we were ready for a break.


While wandering around Merchant's Square in Williamsburg, we stumbled across a seafood restaurant that advertised 'steamed crabs.' I had missed out on crabs all season and figured this might be my last chance. For $2.50/crab (really!) I enjoyed 4 medium-sized crabs. With an oyster festival going on in the parking lot, we got to listen to some live music with our meal.




I did find it ironic that all of the shops were completely overpriced, with the exception of the kids store and a candy store. So guess what I bought? A fairy book for Ainsley and a tractor book for Parker. Both were thrilled with these gifts when I returned home. I also got some stocking stuffers from the candy shop (yes, I've already started my Christmas shopping.)

Thanks for a fun day out, Erin, Kelli and Kat, and thanks also to my DH who watched the kids all day. In addition to taking them to the zoo, they also spent some time at the playground perfecting Parker's climbing skills.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Momming Hard Day 9... until the end of time

Attempted Baking Projects

Ainsley's 11th Birthday in Lockdown